G0KZT  > ALL      22.09.16 22:35l 58 Lines 3492 Bytes #999 (0) @ WW
BID : 18728_GB7CIP
Read: GUEST
Subj: Frank Emery G3ZMF SK
Path: IW8PGT<CX2SA<ZL2BAU<LU4ECL<GB7CIP
Sent: 160922/1817Z @:GB7CIP.#32.GBR.EURO #:18728 [Caterham Surrey GBR]
To  : ALL@WWW

Dear fellow CATS Members, and friends of CATS,

It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I have to announce that we have all lost a 
true friend and fellow Radio Amateur on Wednesday 14th September.

At about 3.45pm, Frank Emery G3ZMF aka "Zany Mad Frank" lost his brief but courageous battle 
against cancer. Having been admitted to Epsom Hospital on Tuesday 23rd August, he remained on 
the Acute Medical Unit throughout his brief treatment.

Frank had been diagnosed with a brain cancer and took a major turn for the worst in the early 
hours of this morning. Staff immediately informed Vince Allen G1HRD of this news which was 
forwarded to my self for dissemination.  This rendered Frank unresponsive and staff began their 
"end of life" treatment. However, it was not until around 11.15am that a call was received to 
inform me that his nearest and dearest should be present.

I was able to inform Stuart Barber G6CJR (CATS Chairman) and Tom Ellinor G4DFA in time for them 
to make their respective journeys from their places of work while I was allowed to take my 
"company vehicle" off to the hospital. Sadly Vince was too far off in central London to make it 
before the tragic hour. He did however make in subsequently.

Frank died with at least some of his Amateur Radio friends beside him and passed peacefully while 
in his sleep. Sadly, there are no immediate family and it is us, his Amateur Radio family who 
rallied round to support him. Thankfully, his illness was short and his suffering therefore brief.

Frank was a very popular chap and I have no doubt that his passing will be felt by the many people 
that knew him. Be it from chatting with him on the GB3NS repeater, working him during contests 
(especially on 23cms with all his indoor antennas), or at the CATS Bazaar/Kempton Bring & Buy 
where he would be selling bits of surplus equipment and other "Frank related stuff".

Frank was a real wizard with radio and electronics and the CATS Committee would like to hear from 
anyone who had projects with Frank that he may have been working on. Hopefully we will be able to 
restore any equipment back to their respective owners, once we identify the stuff in "Central Stores" 
as Frank would have describe it.

I will of course keep you informed of any arrangements, once known. It is anticipated that the 
Coulsdon Amateur Transmitting Society will give him a 1st Class send off and will celebrate 
everything that Frank contributed to our wonderful hobby.

I would like to, at this early stage, like to express my sincere thanks to the efforts of 
Vince G1HRD who raised the alarm in the first place, discovered Frank and continued to act as a 
liaison with the hospital even though he did not live locally, and to Tom G4DFA and Stuart G6CJR 
who have stepped up to the plate to address immediate issues with Frank's affairs. But also to the 
army of visitors who took the time to visit Frank in hospital. I know he did respond well to his 
visits and I feel sure that he appreciated those visits, and of course, knew that we all cared for him.

I would love to hear any personal experience and funnies of Frank with a view of perhaps publishing them 
in "CATS Whispers".

Andy Briers G0KZT
CATS Secretary & Newsletter Editor

P.S. Please forward this email to anyone who may have known Frank and if they wish to be added to the 
mailing list for further news, please address them to secretary@catsradio.org

Read previous mail | Read next mail

11.05.2024 20:31:44lGo back Go up