Subj: re: RF Only
Path: IW8PGT<IZ3LSV<I3XTY<I0OJJ<N6RME<YT7MPB<N3HYM<AL0Y<KD8FMR<N3IP<KA3VSP
Sent: 210126/1242Z 3701@KA3VSP.DE.USA.NOAM BPQ6.0.21

On 21 Jan 21 21:16:00 GMT
n7lew%n7lew.#cor.or.usa.noam@kf5rll.ampr.org wrote:

> I would like to setup (or be apart of) an RF only forwarding network
> that does not interface with AXIP. I am not opposed to AXI P (there
> is utility) I just want to keep it RF. Thoughts or idesa? N7LEW

Here in Delaware, I've been trying to get a RF-Linked only packet network going using
the TARPN scheme, which I really like. The problem that I've had getting hams interested
is that they only know APRS or Winlink, and fail to see the usefulness of a packet 
network. If I do get people interested in the TARPN networking scheme, it seems to fall
apart when they realize that it is stricty point-to-point and that they will most likely
have to put up a 2nd or 3rd transmitter, TNC, and antenna to connect to a neighboring node.
I try my best to promote the benefits, but I fall short. 

I have a full-service BPQ Node/BBS/Chat node up in north Delaware with AXIP forwarding 
partners, which has worked out really well. My main problem with this system is my
height above average terrain falls short, as I'm down in a valley. I have approx 5 miles
north and west, 20 miles south and 40 miles east. My node really needs to be installed
at a high location, such as a tower or high building to reach more people.

I have a packet presentation this coming Thursday night for a local amateur radio club
which I'll be promoting both BPQ and TARPN networking methods to try to get some interest
in hopes of sparking interest in building a RF-Linked state-wide and regional network.

My efforts are documented at http://www.depn.net

Best,
Brian, KA3VSP

Read previous mail | Read next mail

11.05.2024 18:25:54lGo back Go up