Login: GUEST

AL0Y   > FBB      17.12.20 04:40l 75 Lines 6647 Bytes #999 (0) @ WW
BID : 13060_AL0Y
Read: GUEST
Subj: N1URO > Re: Setup SYSOP for FBB
Path: IW8PGT<IZ3LSV<IK5FKA<IK5FKA<PE1RRR<K5DAT<AL0Y
Sent: 201217/0239Z 13060@AL0Y.#NNJ.NJ.USA.NOAM BPQ6.0.21

Brian;

I am not really sure what you are trying to achieve with your message, but it kind of sounds like you think I am not grateful for what you did. Which is pure wrong. I did say before that I appreciated your help and I thanked you for it. 

BUT...

Since you decided to send this to all people (WW? really?), then allow me to explain to all (and to you) why I deviated from your solution. 

Back then, at mid 2018, I asked your help to get a BBS connected and forwarding to the other systems in the local area (W2LI, WB2FTX, and other members of the EastNet) so I can run a BBS for EmComms in the county of which I am the Emergency Coordinator,,, you INSISTED (and still do) that I have to run your software to connect with them. The software which required an out-dated TNC hardware (that took over 3 months just to acquire) so it runs a special EEPROM for 6Pack which also required that I buy an EEPROM burner and eraser. You were also using FlexNet software which as far as I know has not been supported or updated since the 
 late 90s.
You discredited any other solution like using normal KISS TNCs calling them non-compatible. 

What you spent hours doing was... giving yourself "ROOT" SSH privileges on my computer which was running in DMZ mode to install the mentioned software (and God knows what else) without giving one word of reference and/or documentation to what was installed or how to use it.

You connected my station over AXIP to someone else's node that I didn't know who that was, or got their permission to connect to them. You also gave yourself SYSOP rights on my BBS stating it was the only way for my BBS to run because “you didn't want me to break things". This meant that you could connect and set up another link to someone else without my knowledge (as you probably did when connected me to that node) or run any software on my computer that I donâ€Öt know of.

I asked for help about how to set up forwarding with other stations and I was given none. 

Two times after that, I had to reboot my computer and when I did, I lost the connectivity of the node to other nodes on the 44-net. When I asked for your help, instead of you telling me how to fix it, you would SSH to my computer and do it yourself.

I then decided it was not smart of me to have a system running under my callsign, and under my IP address that I mainly have no idea in regards to how it operates, while giving someone else all the privileges in the world over it. 

I still believe that was not smart, but I also still appreciate the time and effort you put into that. I learnt lots of lessons from that, to which I am thankful.

Fast-forward to August of 2020, I also learnt that most of what I was told was not so accurate, and that I spent money on hardware that is just useless and unnecessary . I learnt that I don't have to run the same software others are using to connect with them. I learnt that Net/Rom and INP3 can run on almost any software/hardware including any kiss TNC, or even soundcard based TNCs like UZ7HO's.
I learnt that I can use BPQ's software which is VERY WELL DOCUEMNTED, and get the help of others (including G8BPQ himself) with the "HOW-TO". I installed BPQ and connected to other stations (over IP and RF) that were running JNOS, XRouter and even UROnode which you actually said it was not compatible with BPQ when I was trying to setup a 44net allocation for my BPQ node.

I enjoyed doing that, because our hobby is based on learning, collaborating, elmering, and exploring.

It's also worth mentioning that this was also around the time when you sent a Packet message to all@WW stating that you, your station, and the UROnode software were going to be shutdown by the end of August 2020. you also sent an email to the Eastnet FlexNet mailing list stating that FLEXNET was self-destroying and it was hard-coded to lose connectivity with others by the end of 2020.... just to come back and contradict your own words,. You even discredited the TARPN project itself in the same mail list just because you were not elected president, and encouraged others not to renew their memberships.

UROnode may be well coded, but it did not sound reliable to be honest. It also sounded like my only choices were either this way, or the highway. For which I would choose the highway.

After that, recently, about a week ago, I decided to evolve again, and explore more aspects of this great hobby and learn new stuff. Even though I am still running the well coded and documented BPQ program, I decided to explore with xRouter and FBB, and this is where I asked others for help pointing me to the right direction in regards to documentation for the SYSOP operations. 

If you don't want to answer that question (obviously), that's totally fine. You don't have to.
You did more than enough and again I appreciate all that you did and do. It's just not my plate to be micro-managed and/or proxied. It doesn't help me learn new stuff which is the main reason I became a ham to start with.

I only asked if other SYSOPs would like to answer; and I will appreciate those who do and even those who don't. I already learnt a lot from other hams.

Oh, and to answer your question... Yes, I did take a backup of the system. I have it on a USB drive. One day I will probably boot it up and try to reverse-engineer what was done on it. After all, I am a software engineer and a system admin, and this is what I do for living. But until that day, I will enjoy using BPQ node and BBS, xRouter, FBB, and I also plan to learn JNOS.

One way or another, I will find the answer to my question... and if I don't, it's not the end of the world. It will be for the lack of documentation. 
Who wants to run a not well-documented software anyway?
P.S: Not me. 

For others who may get offended due to this thread and/or think it is toxic, I feel the same and I do apologize; I just had to answer this once and for all.

73 de AL0Y

Original Message

> R:201216/2338Z 3109@KD8FMR.#SRQ.FL.USA.NOAM LinBPQ6.0.20
> R:201216/2338Z 3966@PY2BIL.SP.BRA.SOAM LinBPQ6.0.20
> R:201216/2338Z 1123@OK2PEN.SP.BRA.SOAM [Sao Jose dos Campos] $:56351_N1URO
> R:201216/2338Z @:N1URO.#CCT.CT.USA.NOAM #:56351 [Unionville] $:56351_N1URO
> 
> From: N1URO@N1URO.#CCT.CT.USA.NOAM
> To  : FBB@WW
> 
> Aly;
> I spent hours setting up your system with LinFBB, URONode, and pc/Flexnet which
> is required at your QTH for RF networking since this is what we run. You 
> decided to destroy it all and now you want assistance? Didn't you back up
> the system prior to destroying all the work that was performed FOR you?
> 
> 
> ---
> SendBBS v1.1 by N1URO for LinFBB
> 

Read previous mail | Read next mail

12.05.2024 14:16:56lGo back Go up