ZL2WRW > ENERGY   24.03.15 12:14l 18 Lines 1513 Bytes #999 (0) @ WW
BID : 43570_ZL2BAU
Read: GUEST
Subj: Re: Oil & Solar
Path: IW8PGT<IZ3LSV<IW2OHX<IR2UBX<IK2XDE<DB0RES<PI8CDR<VE2PKT<ZL2BAU
Sent: 150324/1001Z @:ZL2BAU.#79.NZL.AUNZ #:43570 [Waimate] $:43570_ZL2BAU
To  : ENERGY@WW

Hi,

It is interesting that Barry VK2AAB says to watch the decline in tight shale oil this year. My understanding is that right now as I type, tight oil producers are scaling back their operations and in some cases "going up against the wall" because the selling price of oil is now lower than what it costs them it out of the ground.

Of course, I expect that this will change when either the great recession ends (spuring demand for energy), or OPEC cut their production quota, or production of conventional and non-conventional oil elsewhere in the world declines due to production difficulties (peak oil?). Also, considering the current political situation in the mid-east, there is the risk that WWIII might kick off there...

Interestingly, looking at WTI crude futures contracts, $69 USD paid today will buy you a barrel of WTI equivalent crude delivered in December 2023, vs $47 USD for a barrel delivered now. Those selling those futures at $69USD/barrel stand to loose out big time if the price of oil goes through the roof between now and Dec 2023.

I think tha solar electricity is pretty neat, but one problem that has occured in Australia with grid-tied PV panels on customer premises, is that peak solar electricity generation (mid-day) usually does not match peak electricity consumption (breakfast & dinner). Unfortunately, battery technology is still somewhat lacking in the tradeoff between cost, service life and capacity.

73 Ross ZL2WRW

Read previous mail | Read next mail

12.05.2024 10:01:08lGo back Go up