Read: GUEST
Subj: RE: N1URO > JNOS BID CHANGING
Path: IW8PGT<IZ3LSV<IR1UAW<I0OJJ<EA2RCF<CT2KCK<W0ARP<AL0Y
Sent: 200829/0125Z 2246@AL0Y.#NNJ.NJ.USA.NOAM BPQ6.0.20

Quoted from N1URO's message:

> Keep in mind, even in the US where I'm at, compressed forwarding via RF 
> has yet to be decided with government if it's a form of encryption (and
> thusly illegal) or not, however Maiko (who maintains JNOS2) has incorported
> some of the levels of FBB compressed forwarding. 

> I refer you to my above comment where forwarding sessions where compression is
> used may not be legal to do. The fact that the text is altered in a non-readable
> format may be considered encrypted. 

Brian, 
I am not sure how the FCC or any other person can mistake compression for encryption. Those are two totally different things. 

An encryption is when me and you use a key to encode a decode a message where noone can understand the meaning of message without that key.
According to CFR 97.113 about the prohibited transmission, the FCC states that "messages encoded for the purpose of obscuring their meaning" are prohibited.

However, this is not the case for compression. As compression, on the other hand, is simply still readable by ANYOME who knows how to uncompress the message.

In your text above you refer to the compressed message as being "un-readable", this -however- is because the compressin in this case is using a different encoding  (I think 6-bit) instead of the normal 8-bit based which your terminal is still trying to use to "read" the compressed transmission.
However, If you change your encoding duriong the compressed transmission to be based on 6-bit (to get rid of the extra un-needed bits), you will be able to intercept the message and see it "readable".

If you try to intercept a PSK31 Message while using a RTTY decoder, and not be able to read the message, you can't say PSK31 is encrypted. Otherwise, FT8 (which compresses the Callsign to a 4-bit based compression) to show a message of 2 callsigns, a signal report, and 13 custom characters in 127 bits would be encryption.
Or the same encryption used for APRS on 1200 Baud packet all over the world would also be encryption then (which they are not).

According to CFR 97.113, the FCC states that "messages encoded for the purpose of obscuring their meaning" are prohibited. FBB compression is NOT obsecuring the message meaning, as it only encodes it in a publicly known format and hence they are no illigal.

Just my $0.02

73 de AL0Y

Read previous mail | Read next mail

11.05.2024 16:14:16lGo back Go up