OpenBCM V1.07b12 (Linux)

Packet Radio Mailbox

IW8PGT

[Mendicino(CS)-Italy]

Login: GUEST

PY2BIL > SYSOP    03.01.21 19:52l 15 Lines 1214 Bytes #999 (0) @ WW
BID : 5159_PY2BIL
Read: GUEST
Subj: Re: SYSOP: 2021 Off to a Better Start?
Path: IW8PGT<IZ3LSV<IK5FKA<IK5FKA<LU9HGS<LU3DVN<LU9DCE<EC5W<KD8FMR<PY2BIL
Sent: 210103/1751Z 5159@PY2BIL.SP.BRA.SOAM LinBPQ6.0.21

Thanks to all who participated in this discussion since I ended up learning a few things and saved snippets of the discussion in my ever growing notes about being a BBS Sysop. Maybe I end up writing the "Dummies' Guide to BBS Message Routing" some day hi hi or maybe somebody writes an interesting Bull about it.

I did say the other day that this all might be the lack of documentation and it seems it is also the lack of standards (or there are more than a single one), which has probably contributed to the former. It looks like everybody gave up to rewrite the standard... sad.

For instance, when I set up my BBS a few years ago, I got faced with "Hierarchical Routes (Flood Bulls)" and "HR (Personals and Directed Bulls)" fields in (my case) BPQ and could not find a straight answer on how to use those. Every piece of documentation seemed to assume something that I should know and I didn't, so as somebody mentioned, I ended up trying several things with the help of others until I (guess) got it mostly right.

So I loved the discussion here because it ended up sharing some knowledge, even if the intention wasn't that.

Happy new year to all and lets keep sharing the knowledge.

73 de Bill, PY2BIL

Read previous mail | Read next mail

11.05.2024 15:42:52lGo back Go up