Scintilla	178
Support	180
Updates (Maintenance Releases)	180
Reporting bugs	180
How to Contact Me	181
Index	183

Welcome
Welcome to EZNEC® version 5.0!
This manual has been written to cover all EZNEC program types, both standard and professional. Sections which don't apply to all program types are identified; otherwise, all references in the manual to EZNEC apply equally to EZNEC+ and EZNEC Pro programs EZNEC Pro/2 and EZNEC Pro/4.
It's assumed that you know basic Windows operation, such as clicking, dragging, and selecting, and references will occasionally be made to common Windows tools such as Notepad or the Windows Explorer. Please consult your Windows documentation if you're not familiar with basic Windows techniques.
Comments about this manual are always welcome and will be read, although a prompt personal reply might not always be practical. Please send comments and suggestions to w7el@eznec.com.
Manual updates are included in the EZNEC maintenance releases which are available as they're developed. Please see Updates for details.
EZNEC® is a registered trademark of Roy W. Lewallen. All rights are reserved.

Introduction
Acknowledgements
This program would not be possible without the help of the people who tested the program during its development stages. These testers have provided invaluable suggestions for new features and improvement of existing ones, ways to make the user interface easier to use, and scrutiny of the manual. And, of course, they've found and reported many bugs and actively helped in tracking them down. This has occurred for every version of EZNEC and its predecessor ELNEC. Since each version has built upon the previous ones, the people who have helped with any version have made a very substantial contribution to the present one. I am grateful and indebted to all. I hasten to add, however, that shortcomings of the program and remaining bugs are entirely my responsibility and not at all theirs.
The following people were involved in the testing of the present version as it was developed. Their help and suggestions, and the considerable amount of time they willingly contributed,  are gratefully acknowledged:
Steve Best, VE9SRB
L.B. Cebik, W4RNL
Gerd Janzen, DF6SJ
Dan Maguire, AC6LA
Dan Richardson, K6MHE
Dean Straw, N6BV
Jim Streible, K4DLI
Roger Steyaert, K7RXV
EZNEC v. 5.0 is built upon v. 4.0, which underwent a great deal of development effort. I want to give very special thanks to four people who, for a period of over a year, tested and commented on over 30 alpha program revisions as features were added, tested, and modified. Their effort was exceptional, and neither version 4.0 nor 5.0 would not have been possible without them. They are:
L.B. Cebik, W4RNL
Dan Maguire, AC6LA
Dan Richardson, K6MHE
Dean Straw, N6BV
A great, heartfelt thank-you to these wonderful folks.
And many, many bugs were found, reported, and doggedly tracked down during the v. 4.0 beta testing phase by the above people, plus beta testers:
Vil Arafiles
Steve Best, VE9SRB
Dave Rodman, KN2M
Jim Streible, K4DLI
Bert Barry, VE3QAA
I'm indebted to all these people, for all their time, trouble, and valued comments, criticisms, and suggestions. They deserve a great deal of credit for EZNEC v. 4.0's better features, which you'll also enjoy in v. 5.0.
Although I've listed a call sign beside most of the testers' names, several of them are also professionals actively involved in antenna design. Speaking of which. . .
This manual will be read by both professional and amateur users, so I'll like to emphasize one point. Although amateur radio callsigns are listed for most of the fine people acknowledged below, many – in fact most – of them are highly experienced and regarded professionals in addition to being licensed amateurs. Please take a look at "Amateur or Professional?" for a little more about this topic.
A special thank-you to Dick Green, WC1M, for his extensive and  valuable help in tracking down a very elusive bug which affected only a few systems and couldn't be duplicated here.
Version 4.0 began as 3.0, and four people patiently reviewed the more than 30 "alpha" versions of EZNEC v. 3.0 as features were activated and debugged. They are:
Gary Breed, K9AY
L.B. Cebik, W4RNL
Ed Farmer, P.E., AA6ZM
Roger Steyaert, K7RXV
These gentlemen continued on to provide help and encouragement during the extended beta testing phase, and were joined by the following people:
John Devoldere, ON4UN; Linley Gumm, P.E., K7HFD; Rus Healy, K2UA; Prof. Dr. Gerd Janzen, DF6SJ; Dick Kiefer, P.E., K0DK; Dean Straw, N6BV; and C.H. "Buck" Walter.
Many others offered to help test the program, and I thank them, but I was regrettably unable to constructively process the input from a larger group.
Valuable help in discovering and tracking down bugs after product release has been provided by Leland Scott, KC8LDO. Thanks also to others who have reported bugs, provided important information, and when necessary have downloaded and run diagnostic programs to help me find and fix them.
The fundamental computation portion of this program is that of NEC-2 and/or NEC-4. Many people have contributed to the development of these codes, but in recent years the major contributors have been G.J. Burke and A.J. Poggio of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Without their monumental effort this program would not be possible.
EZNEC v. 5.0 has evolved from earlier versions and from its predecessor ELNEC, and the extensive help from the testers of earlier versions is instrumental in its success. These include:
Dr. Dick Adler, K3CXZ; Dr. Jack Belrose, VE2CV; Gary Breed, K9AY; Jim Bromley, W5GYJ; John Brosnahan, W0UN; Paul Carr, P.E., N4PC; Dr. L.B. Cebik, W4RNL; Dr. Al Christman, K3LC; Bill Clarke, WA4BLC; Tony DeBiasi, K2SG; Ed Farmer, P.E., AA6ZM; Dick Gardner, N1AYW; Ernie Guerri, W6MGI; Linley Gumm, P.E., K7HFD; Jerry Hall, K1TD; Ed Hanlon; Bob Haviland, W4MB; Wes Hayward, W7ZOI; Dick Kiefer, P.E., K0DK; Doug McGarrett, WA2SAY; Bob Rullman, K7MSH; Jim Sanford, WB4GCS; Roger Steyaert, K7RXV; C.H. "Buck" Walter; and Dean Straw, N6BV.
I want to give special thanks to L.B. Cebik, W4RNL, who has consistently provided a tremendous amount of help during the development and testing of this and several previous versions.
Thanks to all the EZNEC users who took the time to send in their suggestions, and those who have patiently waited for this version. Finally, but foremost, thanks to my family for being understanding and supportive during the many, many hours I've spent away from them working on this program.
Acknowledgement and Special Thanks: Jordan Russell and Inno Setup
All variations of EZNEC version 4.0.31 and later use the open source Inno Setup installer, created by Jordan Russell. This is a tremendously rich and powerful but easy to use installer. I'm very grateful to the author and any other contributors who have obviously put in a tremendous amount of effort in developing this fine application and have made it available to be freely used at no charge. It wasn't chosen for EZNEC because it's free – it was chosen because it's simply the best installer available, at any cost, for the job.
Acknowledgement: vbAcellerator Software
This product includes software developed by vbAccelerator (http://vbaccelerator.com/). I thank vbAccelerator for generously making this high quality software available at no charge. The full license statement and disclaimer is in the Legal Notices section of this manual, Third Party Software Legal Notices.
Acknowledgement: Info-Zip Software
All EZNEC program types make use of file compression and decompression software which is generously provided free of charge by Info-ZIP. A list of contributors to this project can be found in the Third Party Software Legal Notices section of this manual.
Acknowledgement: Scintilla Software
All EZNEC program types make use of Scintilla editor software which is generously provided free of charge by Neil Hodgson (scintilla.org). The full license statement and disclaimer is in the Legal Notices section of this manual, Third Party Software Legal Notices section of this manual.

A Few Words About Copy Protection
Standard EZNEC:
A friend of mine made the observation that a conscience is kind of like a little wheel with sharp teeth that spins and digs into you. But each time it does, he said, the teeth wear down a little so the next time it's not quite as sharp. Eventually, if you use it enough, there aren't any teeth left. If the teeth on your wheel are worn all the way down, what I'm about to say won't reach you anyway so you may as well skip the rest of this section.
Copy protection is a big nuisance to both the user and the software developer. It also can necessitate an increase in price. That's a lousy deal -- more nuisance for a higher price. That's why this software is not copy protected. Yet copying it is easier than ripping off a Walkman from K-Mart, with zero chance of getting caught (although it's just as illegal and dishonest). So it's pretty risky to put the product out without copy protection. I'm well aware that sellers of similar programs have had to copy- protect their programs to prevent such theft. Theft? You bet! Over a year of virtually full-time work have gone into developing just this version of this program and refining it to make it useful and easy for you to use, and over two years for the first Windows version. (Other expenses, like advertising, aren't cheap either!) So please, when someone asks you for a copy of the program, realize that he or she is asking you to steal. Politely say no, but tell them where they can order a copy (http://eznec.com). It's a bargain at the price, it'll save future users more nuisance and a higher price, and it'll save the wear on your conscience wheel. Thanks.
EZNEC Pro:
This software is protected by a hardware key. Every effort has been made to make the protection system as reliable and easily usable as possible. It not only protects the developer from theft of software which has taken literally thousands of hours to develop, but also protects you, the user, from having to compete with those who might otherwise use the same tools without having paid for them.
All comments about this copy protection method, both positive and negative, are solicited and welcome.
Guarantee
If you're not completely satisfied with EZNEC, I'll promptly refund the full purchase price. There is no time limit to this guarantee for the standard and plus programs, and it's good for 90 days after the purchase of EZNEC Pro.
This is my only guarantee, but I honor it rigorously. Please refer to the Legal Disclaimer for specifics.
Amateur or Professional?
Early versions of EZNEC and EZNEC Pro have had separate manuals. Besides the obvious difference of EZNEC Pro's additional features, the manuals were written with a bit different orientation, with an eye toward the most likely level of technical expertise of their respective users. Since then, the manuals have been combined. Because maintaining two or more separate manuals involves a great deal of extra time, combining them frees that time to be put to use in improving the program itself.
Even the standard EZNEC program has an extremely diverse user base. It's purchased and used by amateurs who have very little technical background in electrical fundamentals, let alone electromagnetics or antenna design. It's also used by the U.S. and foreign military services, aerospace companies, defense contractors, international broadcasters, universities, and so forth. Add to that the EZNEC Pro users, and you have an idea of the enormous range of background knowledge represented by the readers of this manual.
So please, for those of you who are more knowledgeable, don't be insulted if some concepts are explained more simply than you're accustomed to. And for those with less experience, don't think for a minute that an effort is being made to snow you. The sole objective here is to communicate, and give you the information you need to get the most from EZNEC, whichever program type you're using.
The only relevant question is whether you get from this manual the information you need. If I fail to communicate, the fault is mine, and I'd like very much to hear where I failed. With today's tools it's not difficult to modify the manual, and your input will help improve it and make it more useful to others. So please let me know when you run across problems with the manual. I apologize in advance for not always being able to respond personally and promptly. But your comments will be read, and they will be acted upon. Please send your comments to w7el@eznec.com
I'm sometimes asked if there are any restrictions on professional use of the standard program. No, there are none at all, and in fact it's widely used for a wide variety of professional purposes. The distinction between program types is only in price and features, not in how they're used. The other side of that coin is that people wanting to use the professional version for strictly amateur purposes pay the same price for the professional version as everyone else. The only use restriction on any program is that only one person can use the program at one time unless corresponding additional copies are purchased.
Like many, many EZNEC and EZNEC Pro users, I also wear two hats, so welcome to both amateur and professional customers. I'm one of you both.
Roy Lewallen, P.E., W7EL
Notes For International Users
Although EZNEC is currently offered only in an English language version, a very sizeable fraction of its users are outside the U.S. or even English-speaking countries. A great deal of effort has been made to make EZNEC work correctly on computers set for the standards of other countries. This means that if a comma (,) is set as the decimal separator by the Windows Control Panel Regional Settings, all numbers should be displayed with that convention, and all numerical inputs are designed to accept that convention. (The decimal separator is automatically chosen according to your language preference. However, it can be changed to another character via the Regional Settings if desired.) You must use the separator chosen for the computer when entering numbers into EZNEC. (There are a few exceptions to this, detailed below.) Dates should be displayed according to your standard. All outputs should print correctly on A4 as well as U.S. sized paper, and the program should otherwise operate normally in all respects. If you encounter any operation, at any time, which requires you to enter or view data in a format other than the standard convention for your country, please let me know. Of course, all details you provide will be helpful.
Exceptions
EZNEC might be unable to correctly format numbers when run on some operating systems if both the decimal and thousands separators are set to characters which aren't standard for the region of operation. If the setting causes a problem, EZNEC will detect it and show an error message when the program starts.
A period (.) is used as the decimal separator in all comma-delimited output files such as Lastz.txt. Comma-delimited output files are intended to be used for importing data into spreadsheets and other such programs. In this format, fields are separated with commas, so the period must be used for decimals. It is also used for IONCAP/VOACAP and Smith chart program files which expect this convention.
EZNEC Pro only: NEC-format files read and written by EZNEC Pro/2 and EZNEC Pro/4 use the U.S. standard, because most compiled versions of NEC-2 and NEC-4 expect and produce files using this convention. Please let me know if you have any information to the contrary, or if you see any indication that EZNEC is not producing or interpreting these files with U.S. conventions.
Thousands separators are not used in EZNEC. However, certain settings of this option might cause a problem. See the first paragraph in the Exceptions section.

Getting Started
A Few Essentials
First, please make one or more backup copies of your program! Read the Reinstalling or Copying EZNEC section for important information.
Next, a story. Once at the Dayton Hamvention, a very skeptical and critical person was asking rapid-fire pointed questions about EZNEC, which I made every effort to answer directly and honestly in spite of his combative nature. This approach somewhat dampened the desired effect of intimidation, so finally in desperation, he nearly shouted, "Does your program have bugs?!!" To which I immediately replied, "Yes! In fact, I guarantee that it has bugs and will always have bugs. No matter how many are found and fixed, some will always remain. They will never all be found. I'm incapable of writing a program as complex as EZNEC which is entirely free of bugs, and I doubt that anyone else could do it either." He got uncharacteristically quiet. "So," I said, "I do the next best thing. Whenever a bug is found and reported, I fix it as quickly as I can and issue an update. This is uploaded to my web site where any user can download it to update his program to the latest revision at any time. No one will have a program with any known bugs for any longer than it takes me to track down and fix the most recent one found." At that point, he faded back into the crowd. I've made every effort to eliminate program bugs, and consider a bug to be unacceptable and something to be corrected as quickly as possible. But as I told the fellow, there will always be some lurking. It's unlikely that you'll ever encounter one, but if you do, please report it so it can be found and fixed. And program crashes are not normal operation and if one happens it's not something you did wrong! You should not be able to crash the program no matter what you do. Please see Reporting Bugs and Updates for more information.
Third, some users don't realize that EZNEC features context sensitive help. Whenever you want more information about the current menu, window, or display, press the F1 key. From most locations, this will open the manual to the appropriate section. Please notify me if you see the menu opening to the wrong place.
Finally, enjoy using EZNEC! I guarantee you'll learn from it, as I continue to do.

Roy Lewallen
What's New in v. 5.0
This topic describes the differences between v. 5.0 and the previous version, 4.0. If you're upgrading directly from v. 3.0 to 5.0, please also see What Was New in v. 4.0.
EZNEC v. 5.0 marks the transition of EZNEC from an antenna analysis tool to an antenna system analysis tool. The new Transformer and L Network objects, in addition to the ability to include transmission line loss, extend the modeling capability for the first time from the antenna all the way back to the transmitter. Array phasing networks, tuners, impedance matching networks, along with realistic effects from transmission line loss, can now be part of the model. For the first time, the performance of the entire system can be seen.
New tutorial topic A Lap Around Track 5 covers use of virtual segments, L networks, and transformers. It's intended for users who are already familiar with basic EZNEC operation.
Insertion Objects
Not a new feature, but a new designation for the objects which can be inserted into a wire. These include the sources, loads, and transmission lines of previous versions, plus the new transformers, L networks, and Y parameter networks described below. They share a number of properties besides being inserted in wires, hence the new collective name of Insertion Objects.
Program Names
EZNEC Pro programs EZNEC-M and EZNEC/4 have been renamed EZNEC Pro/2 and EZNEC Pro/4 respectively. As before, the sole difference is the availability in EZNEC Pro/4 of NEC-4 calculating engines.
Transformers
Ideal transformers can now be connected between wires, between a transmission line and a source or wire, or in other places in a model.
L Networks
L Networks are powerful new objects which can be used to simulate a wide variety of  networks, including phase shift and impedance matching networks. They can be cascaded to form pi, tee, and other more complex networks.
Parallel Connected Loads
A common problem in modeling with EZNEC has been the connection of a load in parallel with a source or transmission line, because a load, unlike other insertion objects, is connected in series with any other insertion object in the same segment. EZNEC v. 5.0 introduces the parallel connected load which as the name implies is connected in parallel rather than series with other insertion objects.
Transmission Line Loss
Loss can now be included in transmission line objects. If desired, the amount of loss can be made to automatically vary with frequency at approximately the same rate as a real transmission line in the HF-UHF range.
Wire Scaling
You can now easily scale wires or a group of wires and, optionally, their diameters by a constant. See Scale Wires in Using The Wires Window.
New 2D Plot Grid Style
A new grid style is offered for the 2D pattern plot. An advantage of the new style is a half-circle display when ground is specified, allowing larger plots. The traditional style is still available if preferred. The choice appears in the Control Center Options menu, 2D Plot Grid Style selection. When using the new style grid with a linear plot scale, you can also select the value represented by the center of the plot.
Additional Impedance Displays (EZNEC+, EZNEC Pro only)
There are several new ways to display the impedances from an SWR sweep, besides the traditional SWR plot: reflection coefficient magnitude, return loss, and Smith chart. Note that the Smith chart is an impedance display only, and not a substitute for a Smith chart program that interactively aids in designing matching networks.
Additional Advanced Wire Features (EZNEC+, EZNEC Pro only)
New, powerful features have been added to make multiple copies of wires (with each copy rotated and/or translated from the previous one if desired), generate a cylindrical structure, and reflect wires in one of the principal planes. See Making Multiple Offset and/or Rotated Copies of Wires, Making a Cylindrical Structure, and Reflecting Wires in a Plane in Using The Wires Window. These are replacements of the former EZNEC Pro-only feature of direct NEC 'card' entry, but are more versatile and easy to use.
IONCAP/VOACAP file writing (EZNEC+, EZNEC Pro only)
EZNEC can write type 13 IONCAP/VOACAP files after running a 3D plot. These files contain gain data at every degree of azimuth and elevation in a defined format.
Increased frequency sweep steps (EZNEC+, EZNEC Pro only)
Standard EZNEC allows up to 1,000 frequency steps for SWR and frequency sweeps. 10,000 are now permitted for EZNEC+ and 100,000 for EZNEC Pro.
Y Parameter Networks (EZNEC Pro only)
Y Parameter Networks can be used to simulate nearly any kind of two port network at a single frequency by defining the port characteristics with y parameters. Familiarity with y param

Read previous mail | Read next mail

11.05.2024 07:40:04lGo back Go up